Career Center > Job Seekers
> Job Search
Apply Now |
Forward Job to a Friend |
More Jobs From This Employer
||UC San Diego
||La Jolla, CA United States
|| Executive Management
Assistant Director, Programs & Events Services|
UC San Diego
Assistant Director, Programs & Events Services
Filing Deadline: Thu 11/14/2019
Salary Range: $83,250 - $103,100
The Assistant Director of Programs and Event Services (AD) oversees a comprehensive event services program designed to enhance the student experience at UC San Diego and provide student organizations and the campus community with full-service meeting rooms and event venues to support learning and community building outside the classroom environment. Under general direction from the Executive Director of University Centers, the incumbent has responsibility for the coordination, planning, implementation, organization, management, administration, fiscal oversight and programmatic operations of the program team. The program supports multiple venues within the student union, as well as other campus venues managed by the student union. The AD is responsible for the sound fiscal management of an annual operating budget of $1.6M in expenses and $500,000 in revenues secured primarily through fee-for service and room rentals.
A seasoned event management professional, the AD provides innovative leadership and direction for a team of professional event managers, producers, and skilled audio/visual technicians, providing subject matter expertise in the planning, management, and assessment of a comprehensive event services and placemaking program. The AD leads their team to provide outstanding customer service, collaborate with both internal and external partners, and achieve or surpass goals. The AD is an independent thinker who functions with a high degree of autonomy and responsibility.
Responsibilities include strategic planning; revenue generation; risk management; financial management; and development of policies and procedures in alignment with student-fee funding. Expected to generate and increase annual revenues through meeting and conference services and ticket sales, and to develop innovative strategies to increase existing or add new revenue streams. The AD is an innovative, analytical, mission driven decision maker who demonstrates a can-do, solutions-oriented style.
As an active member of the senior management team, the AD advises the director and team on campus-wide initiatives related to event venues and activation of shared public spaces. They work closely with the Executive Director to develop and implement a variety of complex programs and initiatives that advance the student union, Student Life, Student Affairs, and the UC San Diego campus with the vision to be a destination campus, and a student centered, research oriented, public university. The AD serves as the ‘administrator in charge’ in the absence of the Executive Director and the Associate Director.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, gender identity or sexual orientation. For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see: http://www-hr.ucsd.edu/saa/nondiscr.html
Qualifications & Requirements
• Advanced knowledge of concepts, principles and best practices of event planning and public relations, including design, organization and production of complex events.
• Knowledge and skills to apply event management principles, practices and techniques in support of effective event management, particularly high visibility, high impact, high risk events.
• Expert knowledge, skills and abilities overseeing a comprehensive event services program for multiple venues or facilities. Includes working knowledge, skills and abilities for all aspects of an events program including policy development, setting rental rates and fees, scheduling, planning, risk management, contracts, insurance, logistics, crowd management, and guest services related to events and activities of all sizes.
• Advanced long-range planning, project management and organizational skills. * Skill to develop strategic plans, long and short range plans and the ability to direct the work of other professionals in meeting those plans.
• Advanced skill in meeting goals and objectives within budget and time constraints.
• Ability to create complex reports; Demonstrated ability to analyze and synthesize information from a variety of sources. Ability to develop and present reports to senior leadership, students, and other constituents.
• Advanced skills in guiding and mentoring less experienced staff.
• Experience supervising event services professionals in the delivery of a high volume event services program. Proven ability to work in high volume, demanding event services environment while maintaining professional demeanor, solution-based focus, and highest standards of customer service for our guests. Ability to multi-task, prioritize, and delegate across competing functions of the department. Knowledge of supervising within a union environment preferred.
• Demonstrated knowledge, skill and ability with event management and scheduling system(s) such as EMS and Cvent; Experience preparing and presenting complex capacity studies, analysis, and financial reports to senior level staff. Knowledge and ability to pull a variety of inquiries from scheduling enterprise systems to analysis program effectiveness. Ability to effectively direct staff in use of web-based systems.
• Advanced interpersonal communication skills to build and maintain relationships at all organizational levels and with the public.
• Excellent interpersonal communications skills to build and foster a collaborative and cooperative work environment and build and maintain good working relations at all organizational levels and with outside constituencies. Demonstrated ability to communicate and coordinate all event services elements with clients, sponsors, campus administrative units, outside vendors, Campus Fire Marshal, Police and private security teams regarding major events
• Highly developed political acumen skills and social perceptiveness to successfully meet the needs of guests and ensure guest satisfaction for fundraising events. Skill in effectively providing donor stewardship.
• Excellent communication skills to speak before large and small audiences .Ability to develop and present reports to senior leadership, students, and other constituents. Skills to persuade others to understand and adopt new protocols, and to compromise for the mutual benefit of all parties.
• Advanced judgment, decision-making and problem recognition / avoidance / resolution skills.
• Demonstrated ability to solve problems creatively. Strong creative and analytical skills to provide solutions that address issues within all functional areas of responsibility including the ability to anticipate problems. Solutions-based focus with a can-do attitude; offers solutions or alternatives to deliver outstanding customer service. Ability to solve problems creatively. Strong creative and analytical skills to provide solutions that address issues within all functional areas of responsibility including the ability to anticipate problems.
• Proven ability to view tasks from varying perspectives. Ability to integrate day-to-day operational knowledge and recommend effective short and long-term policies and procedures.
• Ability to solve problems creatively. Strong creative and analytical skills to provide solutions that address issues within all functional areas of responsibility including the ability to anticipate problems. Solutions-based focus with a can-do attitude; offers solutions or alternatives to deliver outstanding customer service.
• Proven skills to apply principles of personnel management to plan, organize, motivate staff and volunteers.
• Proven experience in providing guidance and advice in all aspects of program planning, implementation and evaluation.
• Proven ability to work in high volume, demanding event services environment while maintaining professional demeanor, solution-based focus, and highest standards of customer service for our guests. Ability to multi-task, prioritize, and delegate across competing functions of the department.
• Proven success in exercising sound independent judgment. Ability to maintain confidentiality, and act with tact and discretion with sensitive information.
• Experience developing accurate program budgets; ability to forecast expenses and income.
• Theoretical and experiential knowledge in budget development, planning and financial management or an equivalent combination of education and strong demonstrated management experience, preferably in a college or university facility, or similar.
• Proven experience and knowledge in effective contract negotiation and strategies.
• Bachelor's degree in related area and / or 5 years of equivalent experience / training. Advanced degree is preferred.
Our employees enjoy competitive compensation packages and educational opportunities in a diverse, stimulating workforce.
This position is eligible for full benefits first day of hire:
a) Health/Dental/Vision Insurance.
b) Vacation/holidays (15 vacation days & 13 paid holidays a year).
c) Work/Life Balance.
d) UC Retirement Plan.
For more information about UCSD Benefits please visit https://blink.ucsd.edu/HR/benefits/index.html and UCSD Work/Life visit https://blink.ucsd.edu/HR/benefits/work-life/quality-index/index.html.
UC San Diego|
The University of California, San Diego is a public research university located in the La Jolla neighborhood of San Diego, California, in the United States.